Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Favorite Scripture

Luke 12:32
"Do not fear, little flock, for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom."
This is a wonderfully concise illustration of our relationship to and with God, through the Good Shepherd, Jesus.

Philippians 4:4-7
"Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice! Let your gentleness be known to all men. The Lord is at hand. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."
This passage brings me such comfort and joy.

Philippians 1:21
"For to me, to live is Christ, and to die is gain."
This reminds me why I'm here and where I'm going.

Ephesians 4:26-27
"Be angry, and do not sin: do not let the sun go down on your wrath, nor give place to the devil."
Foundational advice for a marriage or any other human relationship.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8
"Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails."
Whenever I get frustrated with Paul and his seemingly endless chawing through the epistles, passages like this above help me regain my gratitude for this Godly man and his inspired words.

John 1:4-5
"In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend [overcome] it."
This says it all. No matter what happens, no matter how many battles are yet to be fought, the Victor has been known from the start.

Psalm 139:7-12
"Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there Your hand shall lead me, and Your right hand shall hold me. If I say, 'Surely the darkness shall fall on me,' even the night shall be light about me; indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, but the night shines as day; the darkness and the light are both alike to You."
It never fails to humble and amaze me that the Creator of the universe counts every hair on my head. He always finds me, no matter how far I run.

I am so grateful for the Word. And for the Word made flesh in Jesus Christ.

No comments: